The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Sunday, February 17, 2013

The How to Be a Winter Locavore Series: #2a) Quick Dill Pickled Watermelon Radish

How to Use Watermelon Radish: A recipe for Quick Dill Pickle Radishes

Quick Dill Pickled Watermelon Radish


Oh my gosh I can't believe these turned out so well! It's always amazing when you try something totally new and it turns out so simple and easy. 

These quick dill pickle radish slices will remind you of summer picnics in the park, except that you can make these pickles in the dead of winter and enjoy them within a few hours.  

And the best part?  They're in season right now and I picked them up super cheap at the winter farmers market, so today they're part 2a) of my new Winter Locavore series!


 So what is Watermelon Radish and what does it taste like?

In case you haven't come across these purdy radishes before, here's a quick overview.  As the name indicated, these are part of the radish family and they can usually be found in late fall and winter. 

I think watermelon radishes taste pretty wonderful.  Those of you who find regular little red radishes too spicy will find these much milder.  They're not quite as mild as Daikon radish (the Japanese radish that usually serves as a bed for sushi), but definitely not as strong as red radishes. 

Keep an eye out for them at your local farmers market, produce stand, CSA box, or maybe your own back yard! (Ok, they won't just appear there, but maybe next year?) 




Yes, you can eat them plain, like regular radishes, and use them in salads or any other dish you'd use radish in.  

But my hubby wasn't all that interested in them plain.  Uch.  But I know he loves pickles.  So much so that he'll save a jar of pickles after all the pickles are gone, just so he can drink the pickle juice!

So I searched around online and amalgamated several different recipes for quick pickles and dill pickles to come up with these, and let me tell you, they turned out so good!  They're like regular dill pickles, but with a tiny bit of heat from the radishes, which makes them actually quite addictive...

Once you've made them, you can literally eat them within a few hours.  Otherwise, they will keep in your fridge for a few weeks, given the vinegar and sugar content.  Just note that the longer they stay in the jar, the more colour will leech from the radishes and make your water pinkish and your radishes more uniform in colour.  That's fine.  They'll still taste great!

Ingredients: (makes 1 quart jar of pickles)

3 medium size watermelon radish (organic if you can get them)
1 1 /2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar or equivalent of stevia
1tsp salt
1 Tbsp chopped dill (I used farmers market dill I had frozen this summer)
1 garlic clove, peeled and roughly sliced

Directions:

1. Trim the ends off the radishes and peel them with a veggie peeler.  (This is not entirely necessary, but I did it anyway, as the skins looked a little beat up).  Slice thinly using a mandoline or sharp knife.  Pack a clean quart jar with radish slices. 

* Note, if using a mandoline, please, please use a safety glove!!  I would be fingerless on my right hand without my glove, that mandoline is like a finger guillotine!

2.  In a small saucepan, heat your vinegar, sugar or stevia and salt until sugar and salt are dissolved.

3.  Allow your vinegar concoction to cool slightly, then pour over your radishes.  Add in your garlic and dill, enough water to cover the radishes and stir the jar a little bit. 

Chill and serve within a few hours!

Oh, and in case you're wondering why this was titled Part 2a) of the series, well stick around, part 2b) is coming up real soon!! 

For more in the Winter Locavore series, check out:

Part 1: Where to Find Local Foods in Winter



Have you tried watermelon radish?


This post was shared on the following great linky parties: Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, Musings of a Housewife, My Meatless Monday, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Natural Living Monday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday,Traditional Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesdays, Fat Tuesday, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Wheat Free Wednesday, Allergy Free Wednesday,Fabulously Frugal Thursday, Simple Lives Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Foodie Friday,Fresh Bites Friday, Healthy Vegan Fridays, Foodie Friday, Fight Back Friday,

12 comments:

  1. That is so pretty! I have never seen watermelon radishes, i don't believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're gorgeous inside, but I had never seen them either until we started shopping in the winter farmers market! I'm not sure I've ever seen them in a regular market, but of course in the past I wasn't looking for them...

      Delete
  2. Wow, I've never seen or heard of watermelon radishes. What an amazing colour!
    I would love it if you shared this with Healthy Vegan Fridays, a blog hop co-hosted by 3 bloggers. I'm sure our readers would really enjoy this. You can submit a post from Friday to end of Tuesday:
    http://www.greenthickies.com/healthy-vegan-friday-30/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite, Katherine, I'll be by later this week!

      Delete
  3. I have not ever tried watermelon radishes pickled. It looks beautiful the way you have done it. "So much so that he'll save a jar of pickles after all the pickles are gone, just so he can drink the pickle juice!"
    So funny, I am somewhat like that too, when I really like something!
    New gfc follower. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and following! Indeed, hubby has a jar of pickle juice in the fridge right now that he's been sipping out of for days ;p

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful jar of pickles and what a great recipe! Have a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful vegetable! I'll keep an eye out for them. I'm not fond of radishes though if these are more mild, I'll definitely try them.

    Thanks for linking up at Fabulously Frugal Thursday. Looking forward to the next post in your series especially since I'm working on my food budget and menu planning for the month of March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barb, they're definitely not as hot as regular, little red radishes. They just have a tiny bit of heat to them. And thanks for hosting Frugal Thursday :)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Enjoy your weekend and your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome news, I'm thrilled to hear it! Thanks Miz Helen :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...