The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Natural, Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spiced Coffee


I don't drink a lot of coffee. It makes me jittery. But from time to time I do need a bit of a "pick-me-up" (especially on these cold almost-winter mornings). And when I do sip a cuppa, I like a bit of flavour.

But a tall, 12 oz Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte is a whopping 300 calories [1] and costs somewhere in the $5 range. Even store bought flavoured coffee grounds are more expensive, usually contain artificial ingredients and sweeteners and questionable flavouring, and many of them are not fair trade or organic.

However, a plain cup of homebrew with no milk or sugar is only 2 calories [2] and costs only a few cents. Making it pumpkin spiced is as easy as brewing a cup of coffee. Here's how I do it...


This is a method I came up with a couple of years ago when I was craving a flavoured cup of coffee at home. The first time around I tried putting the spices directly in the cup of coffee, but the effect was less than desirable (a bit grainy and overpowering). So the next time I put the spices in with the grounds and...

Oh my!!

Our whole apartment smelled like pumpkin spice coffee. 
 If that isn't aromatherapy I don't know what is.


So this is what I do:

Ingredients (makes 5 cups):

5 cups filtered water
5 scoops organic coffee grounds (more or less depending on how strong you like it)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/16 tsp ground cloves

Organic sugar and milk of choice as desired (cow, rice, almond, coconut, etc)
Whipping cream if desired


Directions:

1. Add water to the filter of coffee maker. Add coffee grounds and spices to the maker (I usually just dump the spices on top of the ground as I measure them out, and they seem to disperse just fine)

2. Brew coffee as usual and add any extras you like!

* In the summer I've been known to brew this extra strong and blend it in the blender with a few ice cubes for an iced spiced coffee.


And there you have it! A spiced coffee for pennies at home :)


If you're looking for a way to clean your coffee maker naturally and effectively, check out my post on  How to Clean a Coffee Maker Naturally and on the Cheap


How do you like YOUR coffee?


Citations: 
1. From the Starbucks website
2. The Mayo Clinic



Have you checked out my gluten free pasta book  Recipes for Unusual Gluten Free Pasta: Pierogis, Dumplings, Desserts and More! ? Get yourself a copy and start making GF won tons, pierogis, dumplings, and orzo today :)  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOBSVDI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00KOBSVDI&linkCode=as2&tag=pooandglufr03-20&linkId=XQEAIRXIVZUMBNGU



13 comments:

  1. Yum! This sounds great! And I love that it doesn't cost much to make it.

    My favorite way to drink coffee is to make a strong, flavored brew at home (like this) and add a T. of Sugarfree Vanilla Creamer. I know that the creamer isn't great for you...but I only use a T. and I literally measure it out everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love vanilla coffee, too. I actually just found vanilla powder at my local ethnic market and I intend to try that mixed in with my coffee grounds. I used to cook with it when I was studying in Egypt (they don't sell vanilla extract there), and it smells heavenly!!

      Delete
  2. I'm not a big coffee drinker either, but this sounds downright delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! I only drink coffee as a special treat nowadays, and this sounds perfect for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you only do it once in awhile you might as well go for broke and add the whipped cream ;p

      Delete
  4. Yum.. I can almost smell it now :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this wonderful pumpkin spiced coffee today and I loved it! What a fabulous way to spice up my morning! Thank you for sharing this wonderful post at the "Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Party" Blog Hop! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it! And thanks for hosting the link party, Deborah :)

      Delete
  6. You almost make me wish I drank coffee.. Thanks for posting at Healing with Food Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds wonderful! Going to give it a try--thanks for sharing! Blessings, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made this last week and everyone loved it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...