The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Friday, February 14, 2014

Vegan Mung Bean and Turmeric Curry (Anti-Inflammatory) & Meatless Monday

Free of gluten, dairy, shellfish, eggs, nuts, soy, and corn


Ever wonder what those little green beans in the Asian section at the supermarket are? Mung beans. Little green balls of anti-inflammatory, cooling goodness. Or so says traditional healing from the east.

This mung bean and turmeric curry is like an uber anti-inflammatory stew. And it's great on a few levels because it's healthy, super cheap, easy, made in one pot (easy clean up), and vegan, so it's perfect for Meatless Monday. Also, the curry flavour is super mild in this, so it's not hot or spicy, and is a great intro to curry for those who are hesitant to try it for the first time.


I'm not going to refute the healing benefits of mung beans, and in fact I've begun researching medical/scientific journals for a post specifically on the healing benefits of mung beans (so far I've just found several other blogs that state their benefits but I like scientific sources if I can get them).
Regardless, I've been eating mung beans and turmeric (which studies have shown has anti-inflammatory benefits)[1] for the past couple of weeks in the hopes that it will help heal a puffy, sprained ankle that won't go away and manage some "inner heat" that I apparently have, that causes restless sleep, skin break-outs, and super dry throat overnight even though I keep a water bottle by my bed and drink enough water to make a camel explode...

Have I noticed any results? You might be wondering. Actually, yes. I think I have. I've been making up a big batch and eating it for lunch about 4 days a week and have noticed the puffiness has gone down in my foot, and the dryness in my throat has lessened at night. My skin has also cleared up. So those are all good signs!




As I mentioned last weekend, I've joined the Meatless Monday movement (you can find out why on this post) so this recipe for Vegan Mung Bean and Turmeric Curry is a great way to go meatless. It's also super cheap to make, a bag of mung beans is less than $2, so you could make about 3 batches of this for about $5 if you add in the cost of a few carrots, an onion, some garlic, spices, and kale.

For a complete meal, I serve it over cooked millet or Frozen Brown Rice


Ingredients for Vegan Mung Bean and Turmeric Curry: (Serves 4)

3/4 cup dried mungs beans (optional: soak overnight - mung beans don't need to be soaked but they'll cook faster and soaking enhances their nutritional benefits)

1 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp diced onion
1 clove garlic
1 carrot
1 stalk celery

1 1/2  tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp curry powder
 

2 cups water or stock
1/2 tsp salt
(Optional - 1/4 c frozen peas, 1/2 zucchini, diced)
1 Tbsp brown sugar, maple syrup, or stevia equivalent (optional, but I like a touch of sweetness)
2 cups loosely packed chopped kale leaves


 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)


Directions:

1. Heat oil in a medium-sized sauce pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 7-10 minutes until softened and onions are translucent.

2. Add carrot and celery and saute another 5 minutes to soften.

3. Add turmeric, cumin, and curry powders and saute one minute.

4. Add water/stock, mung beans and peas or zucchini, if using. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer for roughly 30 minutes, until beans are soft and most of the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in salt, sugar, kale leaves and cilantro. Garnish with more fresh cilantro if desired.

Serve over rice, quinoa, or millet for a meal, or serve as a side dish with GF flatbread to dip in it.


Have you ever tried mung beans?

Sources:
[2] http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03001/Three-Reasons-to-Eat-Turmeric.html 




This post has been shared on the following great link parties: Waste Not Want Not Wednesday, The Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Happy, Healthy, Green & Natural Hop, Fat Tuesday, Fight Back FridayGluten Free Fridays

7 comments:

  1. How cool! I've only sprouted mung beans... Never cooked them (i.e. for a curry). I'd love to try this, as I'm MADLY in love with turmeric! Amazing anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties... I can't get enough of it. ;) Thanks for the recipe... Found you through the Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been eating it A LOT lately and I haven't gotten sick of it yet so I hope you enjoy it, too :)

      Delete
  2. I've never tried mung beans, but I know my Mom used to talk about them and she really liked them. This recipe sounds really flavourful that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mung beans are great! They don't have a whole lot of flavour on their own, really, they just sort of soak up whatever they're paired with.

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to try your yummy recipe to explore this nutritious bean.
    Thank you so much for sharing this healthy and delicious recipe on the Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Blog Hop! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roughly how many servings would you say this recipe makes?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...