The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Vegan, Gluten-Free Sprouted Chickpea and Sweet Potato Burger Patties / Falafel for Meatless Monday

Free of gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, nuts, with corn-free option


A while back I accidentally sprouted a big batch of chickpeas. I had soaked a big bunch of garbanzo beans / chickpeas overnight with the intention of cooking them and freezing them. Well you know what they say about the best laid plans o'mice and men. Those peas sat on my counter for a couple of days. 

Some of them ended up in my GF, Vegan Sprouted Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry Soup, and some of them (along with some surplice sweet potatoes) ended up as an allergy-free vegan falafel / salad / burger patties. It was a happy meeting that I intend to repeat over and over. 

Of course, you don't need to use sprouted chickpeas for these allergy free burger patties. You can use cooked or canned ones to speed things up if you prefer.




Ingredients for Vegan, GF Chickpea and Sweet Potato Patties (makes approx. 6 patties)

1/2 cup mashed sweet potato (i.e. about 1 medium-sized sweet potato, steamed, roasted or boiled until soft)
1 1/2 cup sprouted chickpeas (see directions below for sprouting) or 1 1/2 cup canned or cooked chickpeas*

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro*
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley*
2 Tbsp brown rice flour or organic cornmeal
3 tsp smoked paprika (optional, but it gives it s smoky flavour I love)
1/2 tsp salt
dash of black pepper

Oil for frying

Directions


1. To sprout chickpeas: Soak approximately 1 cup dry chickpeas overnight (8-10hrs) in water. Drain and let sit for at least 24 hours. Rinse and drain twice a day. I did this by leaving the chickpeas in a colander so I could easily rinse them.

2. In a food processor, pulse all ingredients until blended. Refrigerate for ten minutes.

3. Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Shape patties by scooping out 1/4 - 1/3 cup mix and shaping into patties. Fry in batches. Place patties into pan and cook 5-10 minutes on one side until golden brown and somewhat crispy. Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side. Place on a paper towel to drain.

To serve:  These make great burger patties. I also like them on a bed of lettuce and crumbled into salad. My husband likes them just as plain patties with some ketchup.


If you have leftover chickpeas -  You might want to try my GF, Vegan Sprouted Chickpea and Sweet Potato Curry Soup! 



* Chickpeas (legumes), cilantro and parsley are all associated with Oral Allergy Syndrome and some people with OAS may react to these ingredients although they are cooked. 



Do you have a favorite veggie patty?  How do you like to eat them?


This post was shared on the following great link parties: Waste Not Want Not WednesdayReal Food Recipe Round up, Hearth and Soul Hop, Fat Tuesday, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Whole Food Fridays, Plant Based Potluck Party, Fight Back Friday, Gluten Free Fridays,  


10 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, nutritious, economical, and gluten free. I'll have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many patties does this recipe make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, sorry I forgot to add that, I've updated it. It makes about 6 burger-sized patties.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy veggie burgers, Danielle, and your sprouted chickpea and sweet potato burgers sounds really lovely! I like the seasonings you have used as well. Thank you for sharing them with us at the Hearth and Soul hop :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April. The seasonings were sort of a modified herbed falafel inspiration, with a bacon-esque flavour from the paprika ;p Thanks for hosting the hop!

      Delete
  4. Hi Danielle,
    Oh my goodness--and I mean that literally! I love all kinds of vegetarian burgers and this sprouted chickpea patty looks so good! It is the perfect patty for my tastebuds! Thank you so much for sharing this healthy and delectable, vegan and gluten free recipe at the Plant-Based Potluck Party Blog Hop! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Thank you so much for sharing...we had this for dinner tonight and loved it!!! This will definitely be added to our weekly menu list! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked them! If you're looking for easy/cheap patties you might also like these Easy Vegan Red Lentil and Quinoa Burgers that I posted a little while back :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...