The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Farmers Market Finds - What Would You Do with This?


After having been away for a couple of weeks, I finally made it the Dane County Farmers Market to poke around and see what's in season right now. So here's my little stash of stuff, and I'd love to hear your suggestions on what you'd do with it! Especially that lovely bunch of asparagus.

So let your imagination run free and help a girl out here. Here are this week's finds:


1 - 5 lb jug of local honey from Gentle Breeze
1 bunch of parsnips (they're hiding in the back)
1 - 1/2lb bag of chemical free mixed lettuce
1 bag full of spray-free beefsteak-style tomatoes
1 bunch of asparagus
1 bunch spray-free mint
3 spray-free cucumbers

Right now I'm thinking of an asparagus omelet and a Greek salad.

I'm also thinking of using that bunch of mint to make some chilled mint tea to help get us through some of the muggy heat we've been having.

The honey tends to get used up in baked goods and in our morning cups of tea :) 

I know my husband will use one or two parsnips to make a veggie stew, but there will still be several left over.


What would you do with all this lovely local produce? 


This post was shared on the following great link parties: Real Food Recipe Round Up, Gluten Free Blog Hop on Back to My Roots, The Hearth and Soul Hop, Gluten Free and DIY Tuesday, Fat Tuesday, Gluten Free Wednesdays, Gluten Free Wednesdays

5 comments:

  1. Roasted honey-glazed parsnips, honey-lemon-mint tea, a salad with roasted toms / asparagus and a honey-mustard vinaigrette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, that all sounds awesome, Sarah! Thanks for the suggestions!

      Delete
  2. Good market finds!! Tomatoes, cucumber and mint would make an awesome summer salad. And I agree about honey glazed parsnips. Or garlic mashed is one of my favorites. You know what site you might like? "MyFridgeFood" It's not as much fun but it gives you some new ideas of things to make with the food you have.
    Thank you for sharing on the BTMR Homestead Hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, thanks for the suggestions! I tried making mashed parsnips once but they really didn't turn out well (watery and lumpy at the same time. It was weird). I think I'll have to give it another shot. I do have an app for finding recipes based on ingredients you plug in (similar to MyFridgeFood), but it's nice to hear other people's suggestions as well! I've gotten some great ideas in the past from sharing seasonal finds on the blog and other social media :)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely selection of produce you found! I like your ideas for using it. You could also glaze the remaining parsnips with a tiny bit of honey and roast them :-)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...